Wednesday, April 27, 2011

The post in which Fatboy talks about food.

While at the local Whole Foods, shopping for veggies and a grape jelly with no high fructose corn syrup (or corn sugar, as the geniuses at the local Corn Union started to call it), I couldn't help but think of how much has changed in the past 25 lbs.

The best change is probably the actual 25 lbs. But what led to this reduction of unnecessary fat?

For one thing, I stopped drinking sodas and other sugary, mass-produced drinks. Other than one time during Lent (the Mrs. bought me some Inca Cola when we went to her grandfather's beach house as a treat), I can't remember the last time I had soda. When we go out to restaurants, I will order iced tea (unsweetened) or settle for a glass of water. It was hard at first, sure, but it got easier as time went on.

Certainly, another contributor to my improved health is my reduced caloric intake. Having a smartphone, I decided to download the MyFitnessPal app from the android marketplace. Should be on apple app store too. I plugged in my info, and it tells me how many calories I should take in a day and helps me keep track of how many calories I take in and how many I burn. Its super easy to use, and in addition to typing, it lets you scan bar codes to make things easier on your thumbs. Watching calories helps you get fuller too. For example, I can eat a pack of Reese's Peanut Butter Cups for 200 calories, or I can have 3 oz of chicken breast, 1 cup of chopped orange bell pepper, and 140g of steamed broccoli for UNDER 200 calories. More food, and its healthier.

I also noticed that as you eat better, the healthier food starts tasting better. Example: During high school and my freshman year of college, I hated vegetables. Never ate my salad, never asked for seconds of broccoli, never tried anything new. Now? I love broccoli (steamed is best). Bell peppers are frickin' delicious. I still don't like most salad dressings, but I don't mind eating the salad plain.

The hell happened to me?

No comments:

Post a Comment