Saturday, April 23, 2011

The post in which Fatboy gives an opening statement.

I have been overweight all my life. I've always been involved in sports, but I just eat too much.

I'm sick of it. And if I don't do anything to change it, I'm gonna get worse.

I've been asthmatic since I was 6. A few years ago, I was diagnosed as pre-diabetic. After changing up my diet and exercising more for a few months, I went back to my old ways. In 2010, I maxed my weight at 291 lbs. Not very healthy for a 23 year old male, now is it?

Last year I started to make the change. I changed my diet (somewhat) and started exercising more. I had always liked running (started training for a marathon in 2007 but a knee injury and overall laziness stopped me from ever finishing) so I started doing 5k's for fun. For 2011, at age 24, I decided I was going to do a triathlon.The Redondo Beach Triathlon will be held on June 12, 2011 and will consist of a 1/2 mile swim, 6 mile bike ride, and 2 mile run.

Triathlons are multisport events, which consist of swim, bike, and run legs (in that order). My fiancee is a swimmer, so I can learn from her. My running may not be fast, but I can go for miles if I just pace myself. As for biking? I'm still working on it. The whole "ride in a straight line" thing and "not falling" technique are kinda tricky.

I started training this year, and as of 4/22/11, I weight 267 lbs. Being very proud of my accomplishment, I went online to check what the optimum weight for a person my height (5'10") is.

167 lbs, maximum.

I am still 100 lbs short of being healthy. I have a BMI (Body Mass Index) of 39. I am obese. So I started this blog as a way to keep track of how I'm doing, and to make public my efforts. If I am able to drop down to a healthy weight (God willing), and if I can stick with the blogging aspect of having a blog (also God willing), then hopefully I can be an example to someone else who is in my situation.

If anyone is reading this, welcome to my journey.

Questions? Comments? Cheap shots?

Lemme know.

1 comment:

  1. Good luck. You have it in you and can accomplish this. Just enjoy the journey.

    ReplyDelete